Friday 13 March 2015

Another year, another MOOC.


This time its Blendkit 2015, aka Becoming a Blended Learning Designer. I'm hoping this will help me as I design courses at work, and also as I revamp the training program for our Wildcare volunteers. And of course, I'm running behind in this so trying to do a bit of catch up.

The first topic is "Understanding blended learning" and for me the key point in this chapter is here:
"Blended learning is not simply adding an online component to a face-to-face course. Technology in a course should be used wisely – to facilitate student learning. Technology should not be used just to show off technology. Excellent opportunities exist for teachers to make learning interactive, dynamic, and fun when used properly. The technology aspect of a lesson should be like a good baseball umpire – it (like the umpire) is good if it (he) goes unnoticed."
Too  many times I've seen a bunch of pdf documents uploaded to a Learning Management System and - bingo! - an online course. Over the last few years I've enjoyed exploring a variety of social tools (padlet, popplet, etc) and for me the challenge is to create a course with social interaction and online activity that complements the course content, not detracts from it.

Looking forward to learning more as the course progresses.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bench-marking my practice – professional, ethical and inclusive

In my early years as a trainer and assessor I was encouraged to benchmark everything I developed against others in the industry – hopefully...