Tuesday 17 March 2015

Blended Interactions - necessary?

Along with my reading this week I have some questions to think about. The first is:
"Is there value in student-to-student and student-to-instructor interaction in all courses regardless of discipline?"
My immediate response is "yes, of course", but after more thought I'm less sure that it is always necessary and need to justify my response. There are many things I have learned in life through my own endeavours, mostly through reading. But how then do I determine whether or not I trust what I'm reading, where do I go if I need something explained. There are definitely times where I need contact with someone else, be that another student or an instructor. There are times when I need some external motivation and contact with other students or instructors can help.There are also times when I'm able to help out another student, and that too gives me a boost. 

As a student, I appreciate interaction with the "experts", the instructors, as that ensures I'm on the right track. As an instructor, I see that I fit well into the model of Concierge Learning ( a new term for me) - providing soft guidance, some traditional teaching but allowing (and expecting) learners to explore for themselves.

I also appreciate the opportunity to share with other learners as we journey together, yet independently, along a path. Sometimes we rub along together for a while, other times we just cross paths briefly, but each interaction adds something important to the experience.


The challenge now is to consider learner interaction in our not for credit course on wildlife rehabilitation. What's in it for them? What are the benefits of interactive activities? How will those link into the face to face workshops?

More work needed ... 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sue, valid points you raise and Concierge Learning is a new one on me too!
    I think the ability for students to recognise the value of other student interaction can be tricky. In the same way it can be hard to ignore feedback from an instructor as you perceive them to be all-knowing and yet sometimes it might just be better for your learning (certainly as an adult) to ignore that and get on with the next step.

    ReplyDelete

Bench-marking my practice – professional, ethical and inclusive

In my early years as a trainer and assessor I was encouraged to benchmark everything I developed against others in the industry – hopefully...