Saturday 10 September 2016

An ISFP in training

A couple of years ago our team invested in attending two Myers-Briggs workshops to help us identify our work preferences and develop our work relationships. 

Some people question how an introvert (like me) can possibly be an effective tour guide or trainer. I think the answer lies partly in the “F”, those with preferences for feeling base their decisions on values, empathy, mercy and harmony. We tend to be helpful, caring and very aware of the needs of others. The other part of the answer is the coping and management strategies we put in place.

I love being in a training environment with people who want to learn, I’m excited and invigorated, but by the end of the day I’m drained and exhausted and love nothing more than a quiet night in. For me, tour guiding and training are both acting. The “I” in me gets up in the morning and puts on my costume and away I go. My confidence is grounded in my subject matter knowledge and previous experience. The “F” in me loves to get alongside people and help them to see, understand and apply what they are learning – and rejoices on the inside.

So some of my strategies:
  • Preparation, preparation, preparation.
  • Wear comfortable clothing and shoes – I don’t want to be worrying about what I’m revealing when I bend, lift or squat.
  • “Throw the monkey” – early in the training, get the monkey off my back by asking questions and getting learners actively involved. That gets the focus off me.
  • Create engaging activities that make learning fun.
  • Make it personal – find out as much as possible about the learners before, or as quickly as possible, and customise activities to their situation or environment.
  • Relax – for me that means a coffee on the desk and an unobtrusive piece of Blu-Tack in my hand to fidget with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bench-marking my practice – professional, ethical and inclusive

In my early years as a trainer and assessor I was encouraged to benchmark everything I developed against others in the industry – hopefully...